I thought a few people visiting this page might be interested in a few interesting and odd facts about the English language. You might find some of these facts useful to quote to your friends or family when chatting over a coffee or a drink and telling them that you are considering or about to commence learning English language.…… have you spotted what is missing in the last three words? 🙂
- If you were to write out every number name in full (one, two, three, four...), you wouldn’t use a single letter B until you reached one billion.
- In written English, only one letter in every 510 is a Q.
- The longest English word with its letters in reverse alphabetical order is spoonfeed.
- A shape with 99 sides would be called an enneacontakaienneagon.
- “One” is the only number with its letters in reverse alphabetical order.
- “Rhythms” is the longest English word without the normal vowels, a, e, i, o, or u.
- Of all the languages in the world, English has the largest vocabulary about 800,000 words.
- The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis.
Do please feel free to leave a comment regarding anything to do with the content of this site or indeed any questions you may have. I shall aim to get back to you within 1-2 days. Thank you.
Hope you are having or will have a good day 🙂